Friday, November 2, 2012

Three Things November Means

I have so many things going on this month, it's INSANE! But three things, in particular, are so incredibly close to my heart, I thought I would share. And since writers share their hearts through writing, I guess that the sharing shall begin... Now.

First off, November has been declared Picture Book Month. Hoo-freaking-ray!!

What does that mean?

It means that Picture Books are not dead (were you unsure of this?). It means that children all around the world deserve to be read to, and have books written just for them! And because I happen to write picture books, this month is incredibly encouraging!! This month can be used to broaden your wildest dreams and share them onto paper, or read them to the most eager of audiences. You've got to love that!

That brings me to one of my favorite challenges that keeps me hanging on, all year long!


 
That's right, folks... It's Picture Book Idea Month (PiBoIdMo)!!!
 
What does that mean?
 
The almighty Tara Lazar has created a challenge: Write 30 picture book IDEAS in 30 days. Fabulous, no? I challenge you to do it... It's day 2, and I already have four ideas. It's not hard!!

Lastly (and dearest to my heart)...
 
 
 
 
 
What does that mean?
 
As many of you know, my son Renn, was diagnosed with Complex Partial Epilepsy, in March of this year. It has been a rough transition for him and for our family. We recently went eight weeks to the day without any seizures. However, he's had a few in the last two weeks, and they've been the worst we've seen. There are many trials and tribulations throughout this journey, and I'm grateful to have support groups and Facebook communities to turn to when we have questions. There are so many "Unknowns" about this condition, that is, unless you've been diagnosed or a loved one has. Renn has a form that is still not totally understood. Yes, it has a general name that covers the basis of what his seizures are like. However, the cause, the location, and the ultimate results on what his seizures are doing to his brain haven't been figured out, yet.
 
 I am hoping that many of you will spread the word about Epilepsy to at least one person, this month. Wear purple! Do some research, find someone who might be struggling with it, and buy them a milkshake. Learn, learn, learn!! The more we know, the more of an opportunity we have to love on and help others. It's important, as a society, that we care for ALL.
So, as you prepare for your Thanksgiving feast, or shake your head at how quickly Christmas decor came about in the stores, remember the FUN things and the important things that November has to offer.

Happy writing, God bless, and love on someone special, today. :)




22 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post, Bethany. I celebrated one and two last year and am right on board again for these this year, too! I was, however, unaware that this is national epilepsy month and so appreciate you raising awareness of this. Wishing Renn's doctor team continued insight into Renn's specific needs! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, friend!! Glad to share November with you, in ALL the ways! :)

      Delete
  2. Bethany,
    I didn't know that this is national epilepsy month, either. Thank you for making me aware.

    I do pray for the doctors treating little Renn.

    And I'm so happy to share this month with you in every way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Milkshakes all around! I also didn't know November was national epilepsy month. I'm sorry Renn has been having a rough two weeks. Sunday is the 4th of November. May the forth be with him, and I hope November goes better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww, thanks, Hannah! Glad that i could share this with everyone!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for making us aware, Bethany. God will use these trials in Renn's life in a special way. He can be thankful that he has such a compassionate Mom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU, Jarmilla! Your prayers mean so much!!!

      Delete
  5. Three VERY good reasons to love November. I think of Renn all the time and send healing thoughts and hopes his way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Bethany for sharing that this is National Epilepsy month. Sending healing thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to hear about Renn's seizures that he still continues to have. I'll keep praying for him!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Keep going Renn! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's going, and going, and going!! He's like the Energizer Bunny mixed with the Tazmanian Devil!! :)

      Delete
  9. Thanks so much for sharing your heart with us, Bethany! November is even more wonderful than I thought before! Continuing to pray for Renn and you all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Bethany-I followed a comment you left on a blog article I wrote about raising boys. Thank yo uso much for taking the time to do so. I'm so glad I visited your website. It's awesome! Renn has the best smile. May you be blessed as his Momma, and may he grow up strong and wild!

    ReplyDelete