Wednesday, July 11, 2012

I Ponder... Wednesdays: Should Age Really Matter?

As I have been cruising along in this year of writing and meeting writers, I have discovered something that is definitely NOT talked about within the writing community...

Now, of course I realize we discuss age when it comes to who our intended target is for our books. But we never really discuss how old we, the writers, are. Maybe it's not a politically correct question to ask, but I have been noticing a couple issues regarding it, and I feel it's a topic worthy of a blog post.

I was reading an interesting blog (which will remain anonymous), and the author happened to be talking about the writers of a very popular children's television program. She was saying that the direction in which this iconic series was going was awful, and that it was simply not worth her grandchildren's time; It wouldn't teach them the things that it taught her daughter. The conclusion that she came to was that it was the "young writers of today" who simply "didn't possess the knowledge and maturity that the older generations have".  I was SHOCKED to say the least.

Her followers? Yikes. I've never seen sooo many comments on one post, both good and bad.

The arguments that ensued were ones you can clearly think of yourself. There are great points on both sides! But to me, I don't see why it should matter. Aren't we all part of the same goal? Don't we want kids to learn, read, and feel emotions from books that help them develop well over time?

I, personally, do not share my age with other writers. I have been told MANY a time that I am too young for this business... That I have "plenty of time" to get my writer life in order.

Honestly?



Okay, I'll admit, there ARE some younger writers who might be, shall we say, a tad arrogant. They don't represent all younger writers, but they tend to make those who are- ahem- younger than 30 look like they have a chip on their shoulder. Then again, I look at amazing k-i-d, (yes, kid, as in, CHILD!) writers who have huge followings and fabulous supporters. One specific 10 year-old I know, Erik, has a fantastic blog where he reviews books. He also is participating in 12x12 in 2012, which means he is writing. Awesome, right? He's got a great talent, and no one is giving him guff. I love that!

I'm just curious if the bias for writers to be taken seriously lies in the hands of those who have maybe "lived more life" and might be a teensy bit more experienced.  I don't want to feel that way, but it makes me wonder... Am I crazy?

I can guarantee it works the other way around, too. I'm sure that there are a lot of writers who feel that they are "too old" and that they cannot compete, because new/younger writers are popping up all over the place. They bow out far too soon, instead of sharing what needs to be shared. How sad is that? The truth is, it shouldn't matter if you're 100 years old- if you have a story to tell, by all means!! TELL YOUR STORY! No younger writer should ever, and I mean ever, "take your place".



I understand that on both sides of the debate, there is one word that plays the largest role... EXPERIENCE. Younger writers may not have as much of it (life-wise) as older writers, but older writers might not be able to relate to the things that younger writers see and experience now. I believe that both can create (and should create) wonderful tales to tell.

So, here's my question for you to really sit and chew on, for this week:


When it comes to writing for children, should age really matter?


I am wondering if I am the only one who sees the stigma every once in a while... I absolutely do NOT see it daily, or even monthly! But I have been on one end or another of this issue a time or two, and it always throws me for a loop. To me? Age simply doesn't matter. You're writing to enrich the minds of countless children. In my opinion, I don't care if you're 11 or 121... 

KEEP. WRITING.






18 comments:

  1. Hi Bethany,

    I don't think it matters what age you are
    when it comes to writing. Great example with sharing 10 year old Erik!
    I think it's pretty sad when you hear of any writer discouraging other writers. I did a Google search to check out more popular young writers and found Emily Brontë who wrote the novel Wuthering Heights before she was even thirty. Laura Ingalls Wilder started in her mid-sixties. So, there you go! Write write write!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love that!! Thanks, Jennifer!!

      Delete
    2. Age doesn't matter. Mindset does. I'm as old as the hills but have the curious nature of a child. The simplest thing excites me and I pray in that regard I never grow up! I am surrounded by children every day and that gives me the opportunity to study them and learn from their interactions. No matter the age, there is a maturity in a dedicated writer and immaturity in one who writes for a hobby...

      Donna L Martin
      Www.donnalmartin.com

      Delete
    3. As do I, Donna!! Thanks so much!!

      Delete
  2. I think different ages have different perspectives and kids can learn from all of them as they develop their own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree, Janet! My hope is that more people feel this way... Thank you so much!

      Delete
  3. YES and AMEN to giving Erik kudos. What a firecracker! I love that you said if you have a story, tell a story! That's all that really matters, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how *I* feel, anyway! Shouldn't matter where you are in life... WRITE! Thanks, Carter!

      Delete
  4. My, my, my! If anyone were to dictate who is and who is not ripe to write we'd all die of boredom. Beauty is in the variety. Some like a Camembert, which is just a smaller version of Brie, some like Provolone, which is aged Mozzarella. Just make sure you are a cheese and don't just smell like...cheese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha! Julie, you're so funny! Yes, pease do not go around SMELLING like cheese! :)

      I agree that we would die of boredom... Yuck!
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
    2. Haha, love it Julie! I love that Bronte and Wilder were used to show that it's what you bring from your mind's eye to the observer's heart that matters. Good writing is good writing. The age of the ink is inconsequential. Yuck, now that's some bad writing.

      Delete
  5. Age doesn't matter. Different ages can give different perspectives and share different stories - that is what gives variety.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Of course age doesn't matter! Happily, I was never even aware that this was an issue. This is news to me that writers are discouraging other writers based on something as insignificant as age.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my! Age should never matter. I liked Donna's answer, I too am as old as the hills and have started late in life to write but I can't wait to spend time enjoying my little nephew when he comes to stay for his holidays with me so I can enjoy being a kid again with him...lol. You are only as old as you feel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that line "You are only as old as you feel!"

      Delete
  8. This might be a surprise, but I think that age doesn't matter. When I told my family I wanted to write reviews for a newspaper they didn't say I was "too young" and they helped me start my blog. When I wanted to write a book, my family didn't say I was "too young" and they encouraged me to do it. I think writing my blog and all of my supportive blogging friends have made me a better writer. There are a LOT of kid authors out there who are WAY better writers than me. My favorite author, Brian Jaques, wrote his last book (The Rogue Crew) when he was 71 - so age DOES NOT matter! Thanks for mentioning me!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. On the one hand I believe age does not matter, but on the other hand I will venture to say that it matters if the author allows it to cloud his/her perception. By that I mean, experience is a great teacher, and so is maturity. Ten-year-old Erik is mature for his age and is hungry to learn. Not everyone is teachable, but all ages can be immature and biased; it's when that seeps into one's writing that it becomes a problem. I also believe one must be careful of judging when writing, not allowing one's clouded or narrow view to take over. It's a balancing act, but when venturing to broaden one's horizons it can be an exciting one.
    (just my "two cents worth")
    Great post, Bethany.

    ReplyDelete