Saturday, December 31, 2011

The Old Tire Swingers... Ready... GO!

I am a person who has a very (and I mean, VERY) eclectic taste in music. I'm not sure there isn't at least one song in every genre that I don't like. Growing up, my parents really pushed Christian music. We listened to Michael W. Smith, Kirk Franklin, Jars of Clay, DC Talk, and especially, Keith Green. However, on the occasional "Saturday Chore Day", my father would bust out some classic hits from Sir Elton John, Boston, Kansas, Queen, and The Eagles. And then... Came country music.

We listened to just about every single country song ever played in the 80s and 90s (back before it was cool). It wasn't abnormal to hear Garth Brooks, The Judds, Reba McEntire, Randy Travis, George Straight, Alabama, etc. blasting from the Millar family's car. And, when we moved to central Cali? Forget it! I think that's ALL we listened to! Surrounded by agriculture, where it was socially acceptable to run around in cowboy boots, we fit in! I, however, still told my school friends that ONLY my parents listened to that "junk" (as I hid my "Classic Country" cassette tapes under my bed).

As I've grown older, I absolutely fell in love with the Grunge movement. Ahh... THAT is the stuff my kids will BEG me to turn off when they're in their teens. But, I enjoyed everything. I could sing, but playing an instrument? Nah... That business was for my multi-talented, little brother. And, man. He was gooood.

So, here we are, years later, and my brother has created quite the name for himself. He has been involved in the creation of a lot of music, but none more important than his own. He headed up (what I believed was) an extremely important band, the Martyrs. They were Punk Rockers, just like in the good ol' days, and many locals LOVED them. But, as it sometimes happens, maturity (immaturity?) takes its toll on a young band, and the Martyrs soon ran thier course. BUT, I am proud to say, that he has joined up with three other INCREDIBLY talented men, and they are... The Old Tire Swingers.

They are a genre of music I never imagined my brother being involved in. Yes, he has his separate solo career going on (http://rmsolympic.net/) where he showcases his inner early Bob Dylan mastery. The Old Tire Swingers (OTS) are  an old time string/bluegrass band. Paul Chesterton is the leader of this band, and has an incredible story behind his talent and his idea for this mash up of old-timey music with current relativity. He brings power into his own original music, and the other three closely follow suit.
OTS consists of: Paul Chesterton (volcals/banjo), Nick Kennedy (volcals/guitar), Frick Dau (upright bass), and Nathanael Felon -my brother- (vocals/mandolin).
 

They describe themselves as influenced by, "The Appalachian string bands as well as their own Central California country roots, they play a style that's somewhere between old time, bluegrass, and country." They have brought people attending their shows to their feet! It's all lively, fun, and leaves you feeling like you've had a seriously good time.

Just yesterday, they were showcased by our local FOX morning news... 



They are really bringing back something that I feel has been lost over all the years of computerized, easy, DIY junk that is hitting the airwaves. They will be touring England for the upcoming month of January, and then will head back here to the States to tour. If you can, please do yourself a favor and go see them. Show some support for real, raw talent. These guys deserve it!

Paul, Nick, Frick, and Nathanael... Good luck on your adventures this year! May OTS show the world how to have a fantastic, old fashioned, foot stomping, good time.

Everyone else, please visit them here- http://www.OldTireSwingers.com
and enjoy thir album here-http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/oldtireswingers
 or on iTunes!!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment