Monday, November 7, 2011

Writing Weather

It's cold, crisp, and perfect outside. It's not a secret that I love this weather. I find it inspirational and romantic. I see our world slow down, even if only for a moment (despite the insanity of the Christmas rush, that is), and I feel at peace.


It's, without a doubt, WRITING weather!



And, I think, I'm not alone. It's not difficult at all to get wrapped up in the fantasy of sitting by a warm fire, listening to enchanting music, and reading your favorite book. So, why not write in those exact same conditions?? (Just a tip: Don't dim the lights too low! How on earth will you be able to see what you're writing?! Recipe for an odd disaster, I tell ya!)


I like to pretend nine months out of the year that I am NOT a starry-eyed romantic dope. I loathe all things-Valentine's Day, and I generally don't get sappy about love stories. However, there's something about October, November, and December that transforms me into this bizarre mush pot! I'm instantly full of emotions and desires of riding in a horse-drawn carriage in the middle of a soft snowfall.

WHY??

I like to think that it's the writer in me. I have this craving to create. I find myself wanting to write something profound, but rarely have I been able to have the right outlet (I won't lie, our Christmas card "Yearly Update" letter miiiiight be a tad over the top!). Now that PiBoIdMo is underway, I have found that some of the ideas pouring out of me are coming straight from this one-time-a-year soul I seem to have. And that's exciting!!

So as you snuggle up with a good book, song, recipe, or even the love(s) of your life over these next eight weeks , tap into your creative side. If you're a writer, jot down the feelings you are experiencing that EXACT moment. What single word or sentence describes your surroundings? Piece it together, and you'll have something to treasure! If you're an artist, find inspiration in everything around you! If your a musician, drag out that guitar, and close your eyes. Seriously, your heart was meant to explode with creativity in these months!!
But, if you're someone who really has nothing even resembling a creative bone in your body, just stop. Listen. Breathe. You'll be astonished with what you'll hear or feel.


If you don't believe me, just test my theory. And by all means, share your results.

Happy creating!!

No comments:

Post a Comment